Warning: include(/includes/code.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/quintpub/public_html/journals/qi/archive_display_abstract.php3 on line 1

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/includes/code.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/quintpub/public_html/journals/qi/archive_display_abstract.php3 on line 1
Quintessence Publishing
Home Subscription Services
 
   


Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/quintpub/public_html/includes/journal_includes/qi.php on line 32
 
Quintessence International
QI Home Page
QI Pre-Print
About the Editor
Editorial Board
Accepted Manuscripts
Submit
Author Guidelines
Submission Form
Reprints / Articles
Permissions
Advertising
MEDLINE Search
 
 
 
 
 
FacebookTwitter

Publication:
Quintessence International

Year 2001
Volume 32 , Issue 4

Back
Pages: 293 - 298

One-year retrospective clinical evaluation of hybrid composite restorations placed in United Kingdom general practices

F. J. Trevor Burke, DDS, MSc, BDS, MDS/Russell J. Crisp, BDS, DGDP/Tracey J. Bell, BDS/Audeon Healy, BDS, MGDS/Barry Mark, BDS/Roy McBirnie, BDS, MGDS/Kerry L. Osborne-Smith, MSc, BDS

Objective: The purpose of this study was to assess Pertac II restorations placed in general dental practice. Method and materials: A total of 86 restorations (14 Class I, 10 Class II, 17 Class III, 5 Class IV, and 40 Class V) using a hybrid composite material (Pertac II) placed in 56 patients (mean age, 39 years) in 5 dental practices in the United Kingdom were assessed after 1 year by a trained evaluator and the dental practitioner who had placed the restoration. All the restorations were assessed for anatomic form, marginal adaptation, surface roughness, sensitivity or discomfort, gingival condition, and the presence or absence of secondary caries. Results: Thirty-five (43%) restorations were placed in load-bearing situations, 9% of which were assessed as being in heavy occlusion. Five (6%) of the restorations were lost (all Class V restorations), 4 from premolars and 1 from a molar. Four were in wedge-shaped cavities and 1 small restoration was actually dislodged during examination. The remaining 81 (94%) restorations were found to be intact, with no secondary caries detected. A high percentage of optimal scores were recorded for both anatomic form and surface roughness. Conclusion: It is concluded that the evaluation demonstrated satisfactory clinical performance of Pertac II restorations after 1 year of clinical service in the wide variety of clinical situations seen in general dental practice. However, the potential for failure of hybrid composite materials in Class V situations appears high. It may be argued that clinicians who wish to use a resin-based material in a Class V situation should use a compomer or microfilled composite.

 

  © 2022 Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
 

Home | Subscription Services | Books | Journals | Multimedia | Events | Blog
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Advertising | Help | Sitemap | Catalog