Home Subscription Services
 
   

 
Quintessence International
QI Home Page
About the Editor
Editorial Board
Accepted Manuscripts
Submit
Author Guidelines
Submission Form
Reprints / Articles
Permissions
Advertising
MEDLINE Search
 
 
 
 
 
FacebookTwitterYouTube
Quintessence Publishing: Journals: QI
Quintessence International

Edited by Eli Eliav

ISSN 0033-6572 (print) • ISSN 1936-7163 (online)

Publication:
June 2007
Volume 38 , Issue 6

Back
Share Abstract:

Findings from panoramic radiographs of the edentulous population and review of the literature

Farah Masood, BDS, MS / William Robinson, DDS / Kay S. Beavers, DDS / Kevin L. Haney, DDS, MS

PMID: 17625617

Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the frequency of positive radiographic findings in panoramic radiographs of edentulous arches. Method: A sample of 327 panoramic radiographs was selected from the patient pool at the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry. Radiographs were evaluated for presence of retained root tips, impacted teeth, radiolucent and radiopaque areas, soft tissue calcifications, and foreign bodies. Results: Approximately 57.5% of panoramic radiographs revealed no positive radio-graphic findings, while the remaining 42.5% contained 1 or more positive radiographic findings. Thirty-nine root fragments were identified, and the majority were located in the maxilla. However, only 5 pathological findings (3.8%) required treatment modification before denture fabrication. Conclusions: Results of the study do not support routine pretreatment panoramic radiography on patients seeking denture fabrication. Panoramic radiography is a valuable diagnostic tool in the pretreatment assessment of partially and completely edentulous patients, but their routine use in such patients should be discouraged. (Quintessence Int 2007;38:526.e298305)

Key words: dental, edentulous, edentulous patients, panoramic, positive radiographic findings, radiology

Full Text PDF File | Order Article

 

Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  © 2014 Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
 

Home | Subscription Services | Books | Journals | Multimedia | Events | Blog
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Advertising | Help | Sitemap | Catalog