Home Subscription Services
 
   

 
Quintessence International
QI Home Page
About the Editor
Editorial Board
Accepted Manuscripts
Submit
Author Guidelines
Submission Form
Reprints / Articles
Permissions
Advertising
MEDLINE Search
 
 
 
 
 
FacebookTwitter
Quintessence Publishing: Journals: QI
Quintessence International

Edited by Eli Eliav

ISSN 0033-6572 (print) • ISSN 1936-7163 (online)

Publication:
November/December 2006
Volume 37 , Issue 10

Back
Share Abstract:

Efficacy of a computerized shade selection system in matching the shade of anterior metal-ceramic crowns—A pilot study

Ariel J. Raigrodski, DMD, MS / Gerard J. Chiche, DDS / Hitoshi Aoshima, MDT / Charles F. Spiekerman, PhD

Pages: 793–802
PMID: 17078278

Objective: The purpose of this study was to determine whether anterior crowns fabricated using a computerized shade selection system (ShadeScan, Cynovad) (experimental procedure) match adjacent teeth better than anterior crowns fabricated using conventional shade prescription and clinical slides (control). Method and Materials: Five subjects who required a crown to restore a maxillary central incisor were selected. Two metal-ceramic crowns were fabricated for each incisor, 1 using the experimental procedure and 1 using the control method. The shade selection method to be used for the first and second crowns was randomly assigned. The duration of each procedure was recorded. Each restoration was tried-in in a double-blind manner and evaluated for its level of match to adjacent teeth using modified Ryge criteria. Data were analyzed within each subject using descriptive statistics and paired t test (alpha = .05). Results: In 40% of the cases, both procedures did equally well. In the remaining 60% of the cases the control procedure (two-thirds of the cases) performed better than the experimental procedure (one-third of the cases). Duration of the control procedure was 14.4 ± 5 minutes, and the experimental procedure was 5.2 ± 3.3 minutes. A paired t test showed the difference was significant (P = .0045). Conclusion: The level of matching of crowns fabricated with the ShadeScan system was not different from crowns fabricated using the control. However, it took significantly less time to record the shade with the ShadeScan system. (Quintessence Int 2006;37:793–802)

Key words: ceramics, clinical study, computers, crowns, ShadeScan, shade selection

Full Text PDF File | Order Article

 

Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  © 2014 Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
 

Home | Subscription Services | Books | Journals | Multimedia | Events | Blog
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Advertising | Help | Sitemap | Catalog