Share Page:

Volume 7 , Issue 4
Winter 1992

Pages 523-528

A Retrospective Study of Osseointegrated Skin-Penetrating Titanium Fixtures Used for Retaining Facial Prostheses

Magnus Jacobsson, MD, PhD/Anders Tjellström, MD, PhD/Louis Fine, DDS/ Hannele Andersson, RN

PMID: 1299649

This investigation was conducted to evaluate osseointegrated skin-penetrating facial titanium implants used for anchoring facial prostheses over a 5-year period and to recommend guidelines for the use of osseointegrated implants in the restorative treatment of auricular and orbital defects. The total success rate for implant survival was 95.6% in the auricular defects and 67.2% in the orbital defects. Approximately 10% of the patients will have some skin problems, whereas the remaining 90% will have no or minimal problems. The possibility of achieving osseointegration around an orbital defect is not as good as in the mastoid process. Success criteria for the use of implants in the craniofacial region are given. (INT J ORAL MAXILLOFAC IMPLANTS 1992;7:523— 528.)

Key words: facial prosthesis, osseointegration, titanium fixture

Full Text PDF File | Order Article


Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.


© 2017 Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc JOMI Home
Current Issue
Ahead of Print
Author Guidelines
Accepted Manuscripts
Submission Form
Quintessence Home
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
About Us
Contact Us