LOGIN
 
Share Page:
Back

Volume 28 , Issue 1
January/February 2013

Pages 222227


Donor Site Complications in Bone Grafting: Comparison of Iliac Crest, Calvarial, and Mandibular Ramus Bone

Laura M. E. Scheerlinck, MD/Marvick S.M. Muradin, DDS, MD, PhD/Andries van der Bilt, PhD/ Gert J. Meijer, DDS, PhD/Ronald Koole, DDS, MD, PhD/Ellen M. Van Cann, DDS, MD, PhD


PMID: 23377069
DOI: 10.11607/jomi.2603

Purpose: To compare the donor site complication rate and length of hospital stay following the harvest of bone from the iliac crest, calvarium, or mandibular ramus. Materials and Methods: Ninety-nine consecutively treated patients were included in this retrospective observational single-center study. Results: Iliac crest bone was harvested in 55 patients, calvarial bone in 26 patients, and mandibular ramus bone in 18 patients. Harvesting of mandibular ramus bone was associated with the lowest percentages of major complications (5.6%), minor complications (22.2%), and total complications (27.8%). Harvesting of iliac crest bone was related to the highest percentages of minor complications (56.4%) and total complications (63.6%), whereas harvesting of calvarial bone induced the highest percentage of major complications (19.2%). The length of the hospital stay was significantly influenced by the choice of donor site (P = .003) and age (P = .009); young patients with the mandibular ramus as the donor site had the shortest hospital stay. Conclusions: Harvesting of mandibular ramus bone was associated with the lowest percentage of complications and the shortest hospital stay. When the amount of bone to be obtained is deemed sufficient, mandibular ramus bone should be the first choice for the reconstruction of maxillofacial defects. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2013;28:222227. doi: 10.11607/jomi.2603

Key words: atrophy, bone graft, calvarium, complications, defects, donor site, iliac crest, mandible, mandibular ramus, maxilla, reconstruction


Full Text PDF File | Order Article

 

 
Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

 

© 2014 Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc JOMI Home
Current Issue
Ahead of Print
Archive
Author Guidelines
About
Accepted Manuscripts
Submission Form
Submit
Reprints
Permission
Advertising
Quintessence Home
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
About Us
Contact Us
Help