Home Subscription Services
 
   

 
Journal of Laser Applications
Jola Home Page
About the Editor
Editorial Board
Author Guidelines
Submission Form
Reprints / Articles
Permissions
Advertising
MEDLINE Search
 
 
 
 
 
FacebookTwitterYouTube

Publication:
Journal of Oral Laser Applications

Year 2003
Volume 3 , Issue 3

Back
Pages: 153 - 155

Reduced Bacteria Levels in Cavities Prepared by Er:YAG Laser

Anat Sharon-Buller/Colin Block/Igal Savion/Mordehai Sela

Purpose: This study compared the bacteria levels in cavities prepared by Er:YAG laser and by conventional means. Materials and Methods: Twenty-one cavities were prepared by Er:YAG laser ablation and 19 by the conventional technique. A sample was taken from the inner aspect of each cavity with a sterile swab and cultured on agar-blood plates. The plates were incubated at 37C for 24 h, and the number of bacterial colonies was counted. Results: In 90% of the cavities prepared by Er:YAG laser ablation, bacteria were absent, while in the remaining 10%, bacterial cultures were very dilute compared to the results with the conventional technique. Bacteria levels were high in the cavities prepared by conventional means. Conclusion: This study demonstrates greatly reduced bacteria levels in cavity preparation when caries is ablated with the Er:YAG laser.

 

 
  © 2014 Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
 

Home | Subscription Services | Books | Journals | Multimedia | Events | Blog
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Advertising | Help | Sitemap | Catalog