Share Page:

Volume 22 , Issue 1
January/February 2009

Pages 33–34

Fatal Anaphylactic Shock Due to a Dental Impression Material

Sebastiano Gangemi, PhD/Elvira Ventura Spagnolo, PhD/Giulio Cardia, PhD/Paola L. Minciullo, PhD

PMID: 19260424

Materials used for dental impressions are usually safe. This study describes a case of fatal anaphylaxis that appeared immediately after the oral mucosa came into contact with an alginate paste used for dental impressions. The cadaveric examination and the postmortem toxicology report confirmed that the cause of death was anaphylactic shock. The patient was affected by both cardiovascular and lung diseases that worsened the condition and forbade the use of epinephrine. To the authors’ knowledge, dental impression materials, and alginate in particular, have not been reported previously as being a cause of anaphylaxis. Int J Prosthodont 2009;22:33–34.

Full Text PDF File | Order Article


Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.


© 2017 Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc

IJP Home
Current Issue
Ahead of Print
Author Guidelines
Accepted Manuscripts
Submission Form
Quintessence Home
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
About Us
Contact Us