Home Subscription Services
 
   

 
Endodontic Practice Today
ENDO Home Page
About the Editor
Editorial Board
Submit
Author Guidelines
Submission Form
Reprints / Articles
Permissions
Advertising
MEDLINE Search
Official Site
 
 
 
 
 
FacebookTwitterYouTube
Quintessence Publishing: Journals: ENDO

 

ENDO - Endodontic Practice Today

Edited by Antionio Bonaccorso, Bun San Chong, Edgar Schafer, and Luc van der Sluis

Official Publication of the Belgian Association for Endodontology and Traumatology (BAET), the French Society of Endodontics (SFE) and the Norwegian Endodontic Society (NEF)

ISSN (print) 1753-2809 • ISSN (online) 1753-2817

Publication:

Summer 2013
Volume 7 , Issue 2



Pages: 105-111
Back
Share Abstract:

Root canal assessment of mandibular incisors in an Indian population using cone beam CT

Jaju, Sushma P. / Jaju, Prashant P. / Garcha, Vikram

Aim: To assess the variation in root canal anatomy of mandibular incisors in an Indian population, using cone beam CT (CBCT).
Material and methods: A retrospective study of 130 Indian patients who underwent a CBCT ( Orthophos XG-3D, Sirona, Germany) scan for implants were selected for assessment of variation in the root canal anatomy in the mandibular incisors. The canal configurations were categorised according to Vertucci’s classification. Two endodontists and an oral radiologist assessed the images, and the findings were recorded with respect to variation in anatomy, sex of the patient, side of the jaw, and type of incisor.
Results: Vertucci type I and type III configurations were more prevalent in both mandibular central and lateral incisors. A percentage of 53.1% males and 46.9% females were included in this study. Males showed a 56.5% incidence of single root canal and 12.5% of double root canal. Females showed a 52.25% incidence of a single root canal and 8.75% showed a double root canal. The right side incisors showed an 83.85% likelihood of cases with single root canal and double root canal in 16.15% cases. The left side incisors showed an 83.45% likelihood of cases with single root canal, and double root canal in 16.55% of cases. On average 54.6%, 6.9%, and 38.45% of central incisors showed type I, II and III respectively. With respect to the lateral incisors, an average of 52.3%, 5.8%, 49.5% showed type I, II and III respectively.
Conclusion: The CBCT scanner was able to detect these complex variations. This suggests that CBCT has potential as an auxiliary tool in the evaluation of mandibular incisors with complex canal morphology to improve the quality of root canal therapy.

Keywords: CBCT, mandibular incisors, root canal

Full Text PDF File | Order Article

 

 
  © 2014 Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
 

Home | Subscription Services | Books | Journals | Multimedia | Events | Blog
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Advertising | Help | Sitemap | Catalog